2000-2002 Festival Photos:
Kim Bova took some beautiful black and white photos at the festival and has permitted us to put a selection up on our web site.
The 6th annual New Directions Cello Festival was held Friday through Sunday, June 16-18, 2000 in the brand new facilities at the University of Connecticut in Storrs, CT. UConn was again the scene of the world’s only festival dedicated exclusively to nonclassical and alternative cello.
Guest Artists for this year’s festival
* Vincent Courtois — French Jazz Cellist
* Abby Newton — and her group Celtic Crossing
* Jeffrey McFarland-Johnson — Cellektric sonic weaver
* Raul Rothblatt — Afro-Hungarian jazz with deBand deBlatt
* Eric Longsworth — funk/jazz electric cellist, with bassist Michel Donato
* Lee Zimmerman — original perform piece with an actor
2001 New Directions Cello Festival
The 7th annual New Directions Cello Festival took place, June 15-17, 2001 at the University of Connecticut in Storrs, CT.
2001 Guest Artists:
* Ernst Reijseger – Dutch improv cellist
* Rasputina – Neo-chamber-grunge
* Erik Friedlander – composer and improv cellist
* Big Fiddle – Old-time music for cello, fiddle, and more
* Chris White Quartet – jazz standards and originals
* Akua Dixon and her string quartet Quartette Indigo
2002 New Directions Cello Festival
The 8th annual New Directions Cello Festival took place May 31 – June 2, 2002 at the University of Connecticut in Storrs, Connecticut, USA.
Guest Artists included:
* Sean Grissom (USA) – Cajun/Fiddling
* Sachi & John Patitucci Trio (USA) – Jazz
* Erich Kory (Canada) – Sublime Electro-Acoustic
* “Relative Sight” Janet Taggart (USA) and Heidi Palalay – singer-songwriters
* Daniel Pezzotti (Switzerland) – Jazz,
* Corbin Keep (Canada) – improv Jazz, Blues & Avant
THE 17th Annual NEW DIRECTIONS CELLO FESTIVAL will take place June 10 – 12, 2011 at Ithaca College in Ithaca NY